Spring 2014, Alishan Oolong Tea (無為草堂)

On my recent trip to Taichung,Taiwan, I visited the famous 無為草堂(Wu Wei Teahouse) after dinner next door. We decided to choose Taiwan’s famous Alishan Oolong(阿里山烏龍茶 ).

I can only reminisce the scent of floral and the taste of  milky, sweetness, with fruity aftertaste. Arguably, I think this is the best version of Alishan Oolong i tasted thus far. Hence, I bought 150grams at $1100NT. My Taiwanese colleague was commenting it was expensive. But truth to be told, when comparing to what you pay for in Singapore, you often cannot get this quality and exclusively here than compared to In Taiwan.

One thing I noticed though is  water in Taiwan taste somewhat sweet and really delicious straight out from the tap. I believe is probably one of the secrets why tea in Taiwan taste so damn good. nevertheless I cannot wait to get home and brew my newly acquired Alishan Oolong!





REVIEW

Tea Source: Alishan Oolong (1350m, medium roasted) from 無為草堂
Water source: Hyflux Filtered Tap
Water Temperature: 90deg
Brewing Time: 40sec @ 90deg
Tea Leaves rinsed prior to first steep 

Scent: The familiar smell of gao shan cha(高山茶) which smells a hint of vanilla. You realise regardless whether you are drinking Alishan, Lishan or Dayuling, they all have this distinct smell.

Taste: Ah!!!! Yes the exact distinctive sweetness similar to that i had at WuWei Teahouse.  It sported a fruity after taste. First 1-2 infusions had an introductory milky mouth feel sort of creamy oomph followed by the sweet sweet mid-body and lastly capped with plum after taste. This bold distinctiveness is very different compared to Tei's Alishan Oolong i tried recently.  A feminine feel. I love this tea!!!

CONCLUSION
It hits all the high notes on its creamy, sweet, floral and fruity taste and i am pretty satisfy. A must try and must visit place for Taiwanese Oolongs!

Check out my visit to 無為草堂(Wu Wei Teahouse) here

2 comments:

  1. my journey into tea...first is da hong bao....second is long qing green tea....third is this alishan! i have found my new all time favorite tea! milky and sweet! :-D yet elegant and not right on the face! i have always loved this fragrance when i tried alishan bubble tea from gong cha but never realized until TODAY that it is actually a fragrance all by itself! now i can have alishan without actually having to worry about gaining weight from the pearls and milk powder that they use in bubble tea! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bookmarked your blog, the articles are way better than other similar blogs.. thanks for a great blog!
    Chinese tea

    ReplyDelete